Bibliography On The Politics of Middle East Oil
Economic Facts About Oil in the Middle East:
1. U. S. Energy Information Administration, “U.S. Imports by Country of Origin,” http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_impcus_a2_nus_ep00_im0_mbbl_m.htm
2. Oil and Gas Journal, printed journal and http://orc.pennnet.com/home.cfm
3. BP Statistical Review of World Energy 2009: http://www.bp.com/productlanding.do?categoryId=6929&contentId=7044622
Political Viewpoints: U. S. Policy Insiders:
1. William Cohen, Report of the Secretary of Defense, Chapter 1, U.S. Defense Strategy, Department of Defense, Washington, D. C., 2000
2. Zbigniew Brzezinski , Brent Scowcroft, and Richard Murphy, "Differentiated Containment," Foreign Affairs, May/June, 1997
3. Anthony H. Cordesman, The Gulf and Transition: US Policy Ten Years After the Gulf War, Center for Strategic and International Studies, 2000, http://www.csis.org/gulf/reports/execsum&policyrecs.PDF
Political Viewpoints: Critics of U. S. Policy:
1. “Why Did We Invade Iraq Anyway? Putting a Country in Your Tank,” by Michael Schwartz "Missing the Oil Story," http://tomweston.net/schwartz.pdf
2. "A ‘Crusade’ for Exxon-Mobil Oil Empire, " Challenge Newspaper, http://www.plp.org/misc/exxonwtc100101.html
3. Pepe Escobar, “Pipeline-istan: Everything You Need to Know About Oil, Gas, Russia, China, Iran, Afghanistan and Obama,” http://tomweston.net/Pipelineistan.pdf
Accounts of the Iraq War:
Thomas Ricks (Washington Post Pentagon Correspondent, Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq, Penguin. 2006.
Thomas Ricks, The Gamble: General David Petraeus and the American Military Adventure in Iraq, 2006-2008, Penguin. 2009.
Afghanistan and Central Asia Specifically:
1. Rashid, Ahmed, Descent into Chaos: The United States and the Failure of Nation Building in Pakistan Afghanistan, and Central Asia, New York, Viking, 2008
2. Ahmed Rashid, Taliban: Militant Islam, Oil & Fundamentalism in Central Asia, Yale University Press, 2001.
3. George Monbiot, “America's Pipe Dream: The war against terrorism is also a struggle for oil and regional control, Guardian Newspaper, Oct. 23, 2001, http://tomweston.net/pipedream.htm
History of Oil and U. S. Policy:
1. Michael Klare, Resource Wars, New York, 2001
2. Michael Klare, Blood and Oil, New York, 2004.
3. D. Yergin, The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money, and Power, Touchstone Books, New York, 1992.